Public Information Officer (PIO)
- Learn how to write a media release and manage interviews
- Participate in video conferences and on-camera briefings
- Identify public relations opportunities in your community
- Practice skills in real-life scenarios
- Evaluate success of public information campaigns
Who Should Attend:
- Potential, recently assigned, or existing PIO's
- Administrative Executives involved in public information duties
- All public safety personnel tasked with the collection, dissemination, and/or oversight of public information for their department and/or organization
Participants receive 24 hours of TCOLE (6038) credit.
[ Program Page ]
Nov 06 - 08, 2023
$395 per person for Texas governmental agencies
$495 per person for out of state personnel
The Woodlands Emergency Training Center
16135 IH-45 South
Conroe, TX 77385
The Public Information Officer (PIO) course is available to all public safety personnel involved in the collection, dissemination, and oversight of public information for their department and/or organization. The program addresses common issues facing the public safety sector and the media and focuses on equipping PIO's with the "tools of the trade" for normal operations, as well as during community crises. This program uses hands-on exercises to develop skills based on various media scenarios, situational analysis, and impromptu "on camera" takes and debriefings and provides essential tools necessary to perform the duties of a PIO. The course also features information regarding social media resources.
For more information, contact:
Camara Walden, Coordinator - Professional Development Programs
Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas
George J. Beto Criminal Justice Building
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2417
Fax: (936) 294-3926
Phone: (936) 294-4995
If the participant has already paid, he/she will be refunded half the cost of the registration fee if written notice of cancellation is received by the Program Coordinator no later than seven (7) business days prior to the program. No refunds are available after this date, but substitutions of attendees are permitted.
If no written cancellation is received and the participant does not attend the program, the participant or their agency will be required to pay 100% of the registration fee if the registration fee was not previously paid.